top of page

In high school, you had IEP meetings. You had aides to help you in class and out. Those aides can provide personal care. A college isn't obligated to perform any of these services. However, like high school, you will most likely be assigned a case manager. This person will either be a counselor or someone working exclusively with students with disabilities. He/she will inform you of the services available. Most colleges have options for note-taking. Bigger universities also offer in-class aiding. However, you are responsible for getting to class. Keep in mind, you need to figure out who will open doors and how you will use the elevator. You are also responsible for personal cares that occur during the day that you may not be used to covering (bathrooming, eating, etc.) I recommend hiring an aid that goes to school with you. That way, you have someone available in case of emergency.


bottom of page